Costa familyTradition & Innovation
We firmly believe that, to reach a perfect product, the heart and the mind are indispensable tools. From hand pruning to treatments, passing through wire tying and twisting as well as the rituals of the harvest and the cellar. Even the most modern equipment is only a tool to help and not to replace them.
Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)The wine? A mixture of mood and light
From Roero, land of great winesOur production lines
We produce three different lines of wines, each inspired by a different idea of ’taste’. Petals, traditional and adhering to the purity of its varietals; the Superior line, through which we wanted to work out the basis for seeking excellent results; Selections with which we intend to deepen further quality research.
- The spiritPetals as something extremely natural and delicate. Perfect in its ever-changing forms as well as elegant. We have collected all these perceptions by transferring them to the bottle: the purity of the Roero vines and the perfect exposure of our historical lands, to best express the qualities of Arneis, Barbera and Nebbiolo.
- The winesThe "Petali" line consists of six wines: Ancant, rosé wine; Animé, petillant white wine; Roero Arneis, Langhe Rosso, Langhe Nebbiolo and Barbera d'Alba.
- The spiritIf 90% of a wine is made in the vineyard, understanding and respecting what nature gives, the 10% that is done in the cellar we have put all our know-how and taste to the search for precise flavors, in search of a perfection perhaps impossible but one that constantly inspires us.
- The winesThe "Superior" line includes six wines: Vijé, Langhe Bianco; Miladui, Roero Arneis; Batistin, Roero; Cianin da Stiva, Nebbiolo d'Alba Superiore; Sclint, Langhe Rosso; S-ciass, Barbera d'Alba Superiore.
- The spiritThe "Selezions" line is designed to collect wines halfway between tradition and innovation, of which the key is the care. We select the best grapes and work them in the cellar according to our art to obtain the product we have set ourselves, in search of particular and fascinating results.
- The winesFor now, only two wines are included in the line: Barbera d'Alba Superiore Mario Costa and Goj, a wine made from overripe grapes.
Mario CostaThe vineyards
Roero represents a unique terroir for great wines, both white and red. The landscape of marine origin is linked to the movement of the Tanaro river, what largely changeed its bed through erosion processes that led to the formation of rocky fissures (the famous “rocche”, in english “fortresses”). Visit our photogallery and discover the natural amphitheater created by our vineyards.
Indigenous cropsThe varietals
Cultivated and known since 1400 in the Roero, for centuries was been synonymous with white wine. A difficult and rebellious grape to cultivate, that matures late and has a low acidity, but it gives a savory, elegant wine full of incredible aromas which give it an irresistible charm.
Barbera is the Piedmontese grape variety par excellence; its grapes, with high fixed acidity, find use and ductility in a wide range of wines. In Barbera d’Alba Roero is the true protagonist, giving a wine with aromas of large flowers, beautiful body, notes of plum and spices and a sharp but pleasant acidity.
The Nebbiolo grape is the native Piedmontese par excellence. Delicate, difficult to grow: it has a slow maturation that lasts until November and is often harvested in the autumn mists. It is certainly the most prized black grape variety, suitable for high quality aging wines.
Do you have any questions?
Love and respect for nature
from generation to generation Mario Costa
Tasting & ExperiencesVisit us
Follow our paths. Discover the tasting experiences that the Mario Costa Winery has prepared for you. Travel with us among the flavors of Roero.
Tasting room open from 9 AM to 6 PM